What to Know About Moving Quotes?
People move all the time. Reasons for moving are different and moving is not always a fun activity. Why is that? Well, there are a lot of things that you need to take into consideration. First of all, budget and plan. This is where you start. A good plan is necessary. If you want to do everything on your own, it is possible that you are going to end up losing your mind and there is a big chance that your move is going to be a disaster. Especially if you move long distances. That’s why you should contact Best Cross Country Movers who will help you find movers that are going to do moving professionally. Movers are a big help when you need to move, and remember always not to forget about moving quotes. This is important and we will tell you everything you need to know.
Finding movers that are trustworthy
When you want to move you need to find movers that have experience and who are professionals in what they are doing. These are the things you need to pay attention to when making a decision. First of all, your mover needs to have insurance and needs to have a license. All interstate movers are registered with the U.S. Department of Transportation. Watch for these things when you want to hire someone.
Reviews and ratings are always important. Social media is a place where you can find what other people are saying about them. If they are satisfied they are going to write good things about the company. You can find the necessary free information there. Moving companies have their pages on Facebook or Instagram, and you will see about people’s experiences.
Be smart and proactive. Do your research before you call anyone. And don’t start doing business with anyone and not making an arrangement about all the costs that can happen. Request moving quotes.
Common Moving Cost Factors
There are a lot of factors that decide how much money you are going to spend on moving. Everything has to be planned and calculated. These are some things that you need to have in mind when you plan your move:
- Weight of your stuff – The heavier they are, the more money will go out of your wallet.
- Distance between places – When you move from one place to another, the distance between them is going to affect the cost of transportation.
- Labor cost – These costs vary by movers and state. Local movers charge by the hour. Interstate moves usually include the estimated costs.
- Packing costs – Full-service movers include packing and unpacking. If you decide to let movers do all the work be prepared for paying a few extra hundred dollars from your wallet.
- Storage – If you need to temporarily store your belongings this will affect your moving estimate.
- Season and moving day – Summer is a part of the year when people have vacation and kids are not going to school, so movers are very busy. If you decide to move in winter, the costs will be reduced.
Your moving quotes math
Local moving estimates – Local means usually 50 miles. The movers will charge you the estimated number of hours spent on moving multiplied by their hourly rate. There are things they could charge you like packing materials, packing and unpacking, storage services, extra labor service…
Long distance cost evaluation – Movers that move you more than 50 miles. Department of Transportation requires that the weight of the truck must be precise. So the costs of moving are based on that. Distance traveled is also another part of the cost. You need to request a moving cost evaluation when traveling long distances because you could spend more than you have if you are not precise about the costs with them.
Look for at least 3 quotes before you make a decision
You need to compare at least 3 moving quotes before you decide who are you going to hire. Why is that? Because that way you can detect red flags. If some of the quotes are out of step with others it is possible that they are trying to take a lot of money. Let’s say that one moving estimate is cheaper than others, and they want you to pay upfront, it is possible that you won’t see or hear from them soon as the money transfer is done. If the moving quote is standing out with a big price, maybe they are trying to take a lot more than the real costs are. Maybe they think that you won’t look for others and you will say yes. People are trying that all the time, not just in sections of moving. Greed is unfortunately present in people, and don’t be a full who is going to pay for nothing.
Types of moving arrangements
- A non-binding type – This is the type where costs are calculated but they are not fairly accurate. Your belongings need to be measured and the tariff to be calculated. Then you will get the right price and may deviate slightly.
- Binding type – This means that the mover guarantees the price, and if something pops out during moving mover pays from his wallet.
- Binding not-to-exceed – It means that if the weight of the shipment exceeds the original estimate, they won’t charge anything for that.
To sum up
Moving is not an easy task. Moving can be stressful, takes time to prepare and there are a lot of things to consider. If you want to avoid common traps that can take a lot of money from you, always request moving quotes. You have to be aware of this when you decide to move, especially long distance moves. This way you are going to be certain that the moving company is not going to charge you more than they should. You don’t want to find yourself in a situation where you need to borrow money because you don’t have enough to pay. This can bring you into a situation where a lot of problems can happen.