How to pack and move computers?
Computers have become such an essential part of our lives that it’s hard to imagine a day without them. We use them for fun, work, school, and pretty much everything else. Unfortunately, they are extremely fragile and sensitive. Until they invent indestructible PCs, we need to handle them with great care. A safe way to pack and move computers is with the help of reliable moving companies. Still, we don’t have to wait for others to pack our laptop or desktop computer. We can do it ourselves with the right packing materials and a few useful tips.
Things to do before you pack and move computers
Find professional movers
A good moving company should be able to pack and move computers flawlessly. Nowadays, every home and business has computers. So, every decent mover knows very well how to prepare them for transportation and get them safely to their destination. If you want the best possible treatment for your electronics, call the best cross country movers Charleston, Atlanta, or any other major city offers. Bear in mind that you should book them well in advance since the best companies are always in demand.
Movers normally offer to pack everything for you, or at least the fragile items. Nevertheless, you can pack by yourself to save money. Why not? If you have the time and the energy, all you need is a good tutorial on how to pack and move computers and you will nail it.
Prepare packing materials
- Use packing paper as cushioning when you pack and move computers
- Prepare scissors to cut the tape and other supplies
- You also need durable boxes that can hold the weight of the computer you are moving
- Markers are necessary to label those boxes for safe transportation and easy unpacking
Although keeping the manufacturer’s boxes seems like a waste of space, especially if you live in a small apartment, you’ll be glad that you kept them when it’s time to move. There is no better box for your PC than the one it came in. In case you’re not one of those who keeps everything, try contacting a specialty box company and ask for computer boxes. The box company should be able to provide you with boxes suitable for your computer’s dimensions. In addition, you’ll find many local and long distance moving companies South Carolina that sell their own packing supplies.
Get moving insurance
An accident can happen to any of your personal items, including your computers. Insurance that moving companies offer is typically based on weight. Unfortunately, this probably won’t be enough to fix your damaged computer or replace important files. Therefore, get a better insurance option or purchase additional insurance.
Backup your files
Computers are not cheap but the important information that they store may be worth a lot more. Moving is always a risk, therefore, you should take every precaution to avoid losing your information forever. Making copies of important files is particularly important when organizing a corporate relocation. Utilize an external hard drive, a flash drive or an online backup service to transfer your files. Your backup drive should be kept in a safe place, like a small lockbox, together with any software disks and instruction manuals.
How to pack computers for a move
- First, switch everything off and disconnect from the power source.
Packing a desktop monitor and computer tower
- Take a cardboard box suitable for packing and moving computers and tape its bottom.
- Then, make a cushion with a few layers of crumpled packing paper.
- Wrap the computer tower in bubble paper and secure it with tape so it doesn’t move. Do the same with the monitor, keyboard, router and other accessories.
- Put the tower upright in the box you have prepared.
- Then, put the monitor in the box so that the screen faces an inside wall of the box.
- Now, place the smaller items (router, mouse, webcam, etc. ) in the box.
- Use packing paper to fill any cavities in the box and add another layer on top of the monitor and the tower.
- Close the box and tape the top but only after you make sure the computer parts cannot move inside the box. If they still move, add more paper.
- Finally, label the box “Fragile” or “Computer”, in large, bold letters.
Packing a laptop
The easiest and safest solution would be keeping your laptop with you while you move. By simply placing it in a laptop bag and bringing it with you, however, you chose to travel, you can keep an eye on it the whole time. Of curse, this doesn’t mean you should not back up data for extra protection. However, if you must ship it with the rest of your stuff, here’s how to do it.
- Secure the bottom of the box with tape and line it with enough crumpled packing paper.
- Put your laptop in a protective sleeve or cover.
- Then, wrap it in bubble paper and tape the paper.
- Do the same with the AC adapter and all the accessories.
- Put your laptop in the box on its edge. That way, it is more secure than when it lies flat.
- Place the accessories around the laptop.
- Use bubble and packing paper to fill the gaps.
- Shake the box gently to check if anything moves and tape it shut.
- Finally, the only thing left to do is label the box, just like we explained earlier.