What is the Average Cost of Moving Cross Country?
Decided to move cross country? A lot of questions may pop up in your head, and the biggest one is definitely the question of price. And there’s no easy answer to that question. Without detailed information, it’s almost impossible to know the exact moving price, especially when it comes to a cross-country move. No move is the same, and costs depend on several factors like the distance, the size, the date of your relocation, and the types of moving services you need. The good news is that Best Cross Country Movers will answer your questions as accurately as possible based on these factors. This way, you’ll get a good idea of what is the average cost of moving cross country and what to expect. Read on to find out more so you can plan your budget approximately and reduce the relocation stress.
What is a cross-country move?
Before discussing the average cost of moving cross country, it’s important to understand the term. Also referred to as interstate or long haul move, a cross country move is a type of move that happens outside the country. They require special authority to be conducted from one state to another. These regulations are granted by the federal regulations, designed to protect the customers. So, that’s why it’s important to distinguish trustworthy and reputable moving companies from fraudulent ones. Cross-country moving is not something you should rush into, and it’s essential to do thorough research before hiring cross-country movers. Luckily, Best Cross Country Movers provides a strong database of cross-country moving companies that are licensed and verified. So, wherever you decide to move, you can be sure that you’ve made the right choice. However, before hiring a company, you should understand the price. Following are some of the factors to consider.
Factors to consider when calculating the average cost of moving cross country
Preparing for the move is not possible without knowing the average price of the relocation type, in this case, a cross-country move. And, to calculate the average price, you need to take some factors into consideration. These factors are:
- How large is your current home: This will define the overall price. Your best cross country movers in Florida, for example, will estimate your move based on a walk-through, but the final cost will be calculated based on the truck weight. So, try to declutter as much as possible.
- DIY or professional move: The way of relocation will determine the price. However, you should know that the average cost of moving cross country by yourself can vary and not be defined accurately.
- How long will your relocation take: The distance of your move dictates the price. The farther you are moving, the longer your move will take.
- The timing of your move: The season you choose will also affect the price.
- Cost of moving supplies: The more items you are moving, the more packing supplies you’ll need.
- Cost of different moving services: Packing, crating, storing, loading, unloading – all these services will add to the price
- Moving your vehicles: In this case, the price of the move will be higher.
Only when you define the relocation process, you’ll be able to calculate the average cost of moving cross country. However, if you are not sure how to calculate it, you can refer to best cross country movers in New York. Also, you can ask other movers from a country you are currently living in or plan to move to, and they’ll help you define the cost.
The average cost of a DIY cross country move and why should you avoid this type of move
If you opt for a DIY move, you can expect to spend about $3000 or so just to rent a truck. Not to mention other things you have to pay, such as moving supplies, storage, insurance, etc. So, you should avoid a DIY move, especially when moving cross country. It could only be an option if you don’t have a lot of belongings and they don’t require special handling. It may seem to you that you can save money with a DIY move, but, in fact, you need to consider all the other costs that come along with it, such as gas, moving supplies, time, and additional help. Moving is overwhelming. However, having a reliable ally, such as best cross country movers in California, can make your move less stressful. The movers will provide you with an efficient moving plan and resources. Besides, they’ll perform the heavy lifting for you.
Furthermore, when moving by yourself across state lines, you should think of protecting your belongings from damage and you’ll have to use third-party insurance. That’s why it’s not a good decision to perform a DIY move. Instead, avoid the unnecessary stress and hire professionals such as best cross country movers in New Jersey to handle the relocation.
What is the average cost of moving cross country with moving professionals?
Professional moving costs vary, depending on the size of your home, the number of your items, and how distant you are moving. However, if you want your best cross country movers in Connecticut to streamline the whole process, the price will be higher. The movers will provide their own moving equipment and packing supplies to handle your furniture and other belongings. Wonder, how much will this cost you? Well, costs vary but are primarily based on the weight of your belongings and the distance. The average cost of conducting a cross-country move is about $5,000. However, depending on the details of your relocation, you could pay as little as $1,500 or as much as $15,000. Of course, a wide range of factors affects the price.
Unfortunately, there is no certain way to say what pricing you can expect before you consult professionals and get your moving quote. Since the costs vary, we’ve consulted some of the best cross country movers in Washington to help us provide you with as accurate information as possible. Here are some examples of the average cost of moving cross country about 1,000 miles:
- If you want to move a studio, you can expect to pay somewhere between $1,000 and $2,000
- When moving a three-bedroom house, you may pay between $2,500 and $4,000
- Moving a four-bedroom house will cost you between $6,500 and $9,000
What is the average cost of moving cross country within 2,000 miles?
The longer the distance, the higher the price is. According to best cross country movers Kentucky, here’s a helpful list that shows an average cost of moving cross country by home size, supposing a move is 2,000 miles long:
- If you want to move one-bedroom home, the average moving cost will be between $2,250 and $4,500
- If you want to move two-bedroom home, you’ll pay the average moving cost between $4,000 and $6,250
- When moving three-bedroom home, you can expect to pay between $5,000 and $8,500 on average
- If you want to move four-bedroom home, you will pay between $6,500 and $12,000
- If you want to move five-bedroom home, you will pay between $8,000 and $13,500
The type of moving company you hire affects the price
The type of moving company you hire plays a huge part in the average moving price that you will pay for a cross-country move. There are three main types of companies you can choose from:
- Full-service moving companies: They provide you with services other than just loading and transportation. These services include packing, storage, car shipping, specialized items moving, and others. Although full-service moving companies conduct the process from the very beginning to the end, they are usually the most expensive. However, hiring a full-service moving company is worth the price, especially when it comes to a cross-country move which is very demanding. If you opt for a full-service company, check our database of some of the finest cross country movers, such as best cross country movers Virginia, and have a safe and smooth relocation but at an affordable price.
- Truck rental companies: As the name suggests, truck rental companies will provide you only with a moving truck. It means that if you choose this type of company, you’ll have to perform a DIY move, which means it’s almost impossible to calculate the average moving price. Renting a truck and conducting your relocation on your own can be the cheapest way to move. However, it is tricky. As said before, a DIY move is both physically and mentally draining and both time and money-consuming. There’s no cheap way to relocate cross country.
- Moving container companies: These companies are something in between a full-service and a DIY move. Such companies will provide a container so you can load your belongings, and ship the container to your destination. However, you’ll have to provide the labor for loading and unloading.
How do additional services affect the moving cost?
Supposing you choose to work with a full-service moving company, such as best cross country movers in Oklahoma, you can use additional services for your relocation. Such services include packing and unpacking, furniture disassembling and reassembling, storage services (in case you have to leave your home earlier than the moving day), junk removal, floor plan, and others. If you choose packing and unpacking services, you won’t have to think about purchasing packing materials. Your movers will ensure your items are packed safely with professional equipment. However, keep in mind that packing can be a bit expensive. So, you can expect to pay from $250 to $1,500+ depending on the size of your home.
If you want to use furniture assembly services, you will have to pay an additional price. However, you may come across a company that will provide the service free of charge. When it comes to junk removal services, it may seem like an unnecessary expense. However, if you use this service, you’ll save a lot of time, especially if you decluttered a lot. Some movers do this for a fee. But if you need to pay for it, you can expect to pay around $100 to $150 for single item removals like a couch or mattress. A full junk truckload can cost about $700.
What is the storage price when moving cross country?
When moving cross country, storage is more than essential. Cross-country move requires a lot of planning, and the tasks are demanding. It usually lasts long, so it’s important to store your belongings somewhere after you leave your current home. And the best possible solution is to use storage services, especially the professional ones. Although it’s an additional expense, it’s more than worth the money. The best way to find storage is to ask your best cross country movers in West Virginia to provide you with some. Many relocation companies offer short-term and long-term storage units depending on your necessities. Prices depend on the type and size of the storage, so it’s difficult to state an average cost of storing. Also, it depends on the number and type of your belongings and the services you need. The average monthly cost may vary from $90 to $290 (depending on the size).
Use Best Cross Country Movers database and choose reliable movers at an affordable cost
Relocation is a huge change in our lives. Many things should be done before the relocation, from planning the move, planning the budget, gathering necessary documents, saying goodbye to your family and friends, packing, and organizing the transportation. So, the last thing you need to worry about is how to calculate the cost of moving cross country. That’s why you should hire professionals to help you with the relocation and provide you with the moving estimate. This way, you’ll be sure how much your relocation will cost, and you’ll avoid the unnecessary stress of calculating your expenses. And finding a suitable and reliable moving company has never been easier. Best Cross Country Movers will provide you with the best moving companies database ever.