Moving to Maine: Guide, Tips & Pros and Cons
Thinking about moving to Maine? Great choice. Not many people are thinking about moving to this state in New England, but that doesn’t mean Maine doesn’t have a lot to offer. Quite the opposite. That’s why Best Cross Country Movers prepare you a complete moving guide with tips and tricks that will come in handy if you decide to relocate here. And if you are not quite sure whether you should move here or not, don’t worry. In this guide, you’ll also find out what are the pros & cons of moving to Maine. So, let’s start the journey across this beautiful country and its most famous cities and prepare for the relocation without any stress. Enjoy the tour.
If you want to live in a peaceful state and be surrounded by nature, Maine is the one. With a population of just 1.3 million people, it is the 13th least populated and most rural state in the US. However, this doesn’t mean Main has nothing to offer. In fact, it is perfect for leading a healthy and peaceful life and enjoying nature. Its nickname, The Pine Tree State, perfectly represents scenic nature with estimated 24 billion trees, ideal for those seeking serenity. Thanks to all those pine trees, Maine is one of the healthiest countries in the US. Besides, here you can enjoy miles of the Atlantic coastline. The mixture of trees and coastline provides some of the cleanest air in the US. However, there’s much more to enjoy in Maine than just natural beauty. Stay with us and find out why Maine is a perfect state.
Reasons why people love living in Maine
Besides nature and serenity, people choose Maine due to many other reasons. The biggest one is the quality of life. Fresh air, healthy seafood, excellent job market, affordable housing, local culture, low crime rates, four seasons, and warm and welcoming people are the main reasons why people love living in Maine. Sounds perfect, right? So, if Maine is your final choice, check our moving companies database and find some of the best cross-country movers to take care of your relocation.
Pros of moving to Maine
As it’s the case with other countries, moving to Maine has its pros and cons, of course. No state is perfect, but each offers something for everyone. So does Maine. So, let’s have a look at the main advantages of moving here:
- Low cost of living: Maine is very cheap, from housing to healthcare
- Low unemployment: Main ranks in the top ten states for high employment since the unemployment rate is not higher than 3%
- Higher salaries: Min residents earn about $11 per hour. Average annual wages are about $58,010
- Healthcare: Maine has excellent healthcare at affordable prices.
- Excellent job market: Since Maine has got a strong healthcare system, it’s no wonder that the fastest-growing jobs are those related to medicine, such as nurse practitioners, physical therapists, pediatricians, dentists, psychiatrists, and nurse anesthetists. Besides the medical field, you can find a job as a software developer, taxi driver, and mechanic.
- Affordable housing: The median home value in Maine is about $270,000.
- Safety: Maine is a very safe county.
- Amazing food choice: Maine is famous for lobster and blueberries as well as other fantastic food.
- Trees and seas: As already mentioned, this Pine Tree State has the highest percentage of forests in the US, and the coastline is long.
- Maine is cat-friendly: There’s a large number of households with cats.
So, if these reasons are appealing enough for you to move here, you can count on some of the best cross country movers Maine to handle your relocation.
Cons of moving to Maine
Moving to Main has its cons too. However, these cons may not be considered big disadvantages, depending on the person. However, let’s look at some:
- Harsh winters: Although you can experience four seasons in Maine, winters can be very harsh.
- Slow internet: Since Maine is quite a rural area, some places have slower internet.
- Limited diversity: Maine is not so diverse in culture as other US states.
- Not many young adults live here: Maine has an unofficial nickname of “the oldest state” since many retirees live here. It lacks diverse nightlife, which may dissuade younger people.
As you can see, there are not so many disadvantages of moving to Maine, and those mentioned above may be seen as advantages. Thanks to them, Maine is a very peaceful country.
Best Cities in Maine to move
Now that you know the pros and cons of moving to Maine, let’s check the best cities to move to:
- South Portland
Augusta: Maine’s Capital
If you’re looking for a family-friendly city, you should definitely consider moving to Augusta, Maine’s capital. However, a family-friendly vibe is just the tip of the iceberg of what Augusta can offer to its residents. The cost of living in Augusta is very affordable, about 18.5 percent lower than in other places in Maine. The median home price is near $143,000. Besides, Augusta has relatively low property taxes. When it comes to the job market, you can find many state jobs, mostly in healthcare. However, other industries are spread. The median income is about $40,000. It seems like Augusta has it all. There are many public institutions, such as the University of Maine. Besides, the high school system is constantly improving, so Augusta is a perfect place for people with children. Moving to Augusta will give you a strong sense of community. People are open-minded and care about their town
If you decide to move to Maine’s capital, choose some of the best cross country movers in Augusta, and enjoy a plethora of outdoor activities while your movers are taking care of your relocation and post-relocation processes. Augusta is home to Bond Brooke Recreation Area, an urban wilderness. You can enjoy trails for mountain biking, walking, skiing, and snowboarding. Also, in Augusta, you can enjoy a farmer’s market and the Buker Community Center, where you can enjoy arts, sports, and other recreational programs.
Portland: Most popular city in Maine
Located in Cumberland County, Portland has a population of 66,595 residents. It’s Maine’s largest area and economic hub and is considered one of the best places to live in Maine. Portland offers its residents a mixture of an urban-suburban mix feel. Here, many people are prone to DIY projects, and you’ll come across a lot of local entrepreneurs offering you homemade products. When it comes to outdoor activities, you can visit many parks, restaurants, and coffee shops here. Portland is a perfect place to raise a family since Portland is home to highly rated schools. There are ten elementary schools, three middle schools, and four high schools, including King Middle School and Casco Bay High School. Besides, Portland has a low crime rate. If you decide to move to Portland, contact us, and we will help you find some of the best cross country movers Portland has to offer.
If you want to live near Portland, but outside its hassle, South Portland may be the right place for you. Located south of downtown Portland, South Portland is connected to Portland by the Casco Bay Bridge. It is perfect for families due to its suburban community and many quiet neighborhoods. South Portland offers many outdoor opportunities. You can enjoy Willard Beach along Casco Bay and The Greenbelt Walkway, which is perfect for walkers, runners, cyclists, and easy strollers. Education in South Portland is also one of the reasons why families move here. South Portland’s public school system has five elementary, two middle schools, and one high school. Besides, South Portland has two private schools. Want to move here? Contact us, and we’ll connect you to some of the best cross country movers in South Portland. And if you are not sure whether to move here, let’s check some more traits:
- Median household income: $56,250, which is higher than the US average
- Unemployment rate: 4%, lower than the national average
- The Median home value is $229,400, 68% own their homes
- The Median rent price is $1,086
“The Lew” – Lewiston, Maine
Located in the county of Androscoggin, Lewiston, ME is a small city that has recently seen a growth of new residents. Living in Lewiston, you’ll experience a suburban feel, perfect for families looking to raise children. Housing is affordable, and you can find a wide range of residential opportunities, choosing from historic homes to amazing waterfront properties with incredible views. And here are some of the most important information about Lewiston, Maine:
- Population: 36,592; Close to 70% of the population are Franco-Americans.
- The Median Home Price: about $14,000
- The Median Rent Price: about $680
- An Average Salary: $37,000
- The average commute time: is 25 minutes
Top industries in Lewiston include health care, like in other cities in Maine, and manufacturing as well. So, if you think Lewiston is the right place for you, our team is ready to answer all your questions and help you can find the best cross country movers in Lewiston.
Moving to Bangor, Maine
If you’re searching for career improvement in Maine, you should move to Bangor. It’s located in the center of the state on the Penobscot River. Bangor is considered the commercial and social center with excellent opportunities and thus is nicknamed The Queen City. It is one of the major urban centers in Maine. The low cost of living and low crime rates define life in Bangor. The unemployment rates are less than 3%. Bangor offers affordable housing. If you want to buy a house, you can expect to pay $148,600, while renting is approximately $765. What adds more to the living standard in Bangor is the average salary of about $36,735. The minimum wage is about $12 per hour, which is the biggest rate in New England. So, If Bangor is your choice, we will help you find some of the best cross country movers Bangor has to offer.
Last but not least on our list of best places to live in Manie is Auburn. There are many reasons for moving to this city in Androscoggin County. The main reasons are livability, cost of living, and education. Besides, The low property value is another great reason why people choose Auburn. The median home price in Auburn is only about $166,000, which is lower than the nation’s average. The area has a suburban feel, and you can enjoy plenty of outdoor activities. When it comes to the median individual income, you can expect to earn around $30,500 per year in Auburn. All in all, it’s a great place to relocate and settle down with a family. So, if you want to enjoy this small town, you are one step ahead. Choose some of the best cross country movers Auburn and have the safest and smoothest relocation possible.
Tips for moving to Maine
Relocation is quite a challenging endeavor. That’s why we’ve prepared some tips for your moving to Maine. First, you should plan your moving budget and then find the movers to handle your relocation. However, choosing the right movers is not an easy task. Luckily, you don’t have to search long. Best Cross Country Movers will help you find the best residential movers in Maine. After you find the ones that suit you best, you can start preparing for the relocation. And here are some of the helpful tips:
- Make a moving timeline: It will help you streamline the process.
- Make an inventory list: This will keep you organized but also help you declutter
- Create a packing plan: Pack room by room, and pack the bag of essentials. Purge as you pack.
- Use the right packing supplies: The best and safest way to pack is to use professional packing services. Ask your movers to disassemble your furniture
- Gather necessary documents and keep them at hand
Moving to Maine is now easier with Best Cross Country Movers
The success of your relocation depends on your choice when it comes to moving companies. So, choose smartly. Best Cross Country Movers can help you make a good decision. Have a safe and sound relocation without any stress around. Enjoy the process.